Locations in Costa Rica
Costa Rica is in the middle of the Americas, located in Central America. With Panama on the southern border, Nicaragua on the northern border and the Caribbean Sea and North Pacific Ocean on its coasts. The country is 9,700 square miles (51,100 sq. km) about the size of Vermont in the U.S. It has 0.03%of the earth’s surface and it contains almost 6% of the world’s biodiversity. 25.6% of the territory is protected in National Parks and Reserves, which include: islands and beaches, rainforests and dry forest, active and inactive volcanoes, hot springs, caves, river canyons and waterfalls.
Why come to Costa Rica
not too far from USA/Canada or Europe; direct flights to all major cities
very small country, a lot of different locations within a small travel time frame
short travel times within the country for most locations so that you can cover different location types in shorter travel times
low-cost non-union talent buyouts.
easy to shoot with drones (local options)
for jobs over $500k you get a tax return of 80% of the VAT
Production Houses: Caviar, Psyop, Reset, MJZ, Moxie Pictures, Smuggler, RSA Films, Wanda, Prodigious Australia, Supply and Demand, Iconoclast, Anonymus Content, Slim Productions, Park Pictures ...
Directors: Arnaud Uyttenhove, Borja Pena, Wally Pfister, Juan Cabral, Jaron Albertin, Martin Granger, Neels Castillon, Andreas Smetana, Michael Lawrence, Tarsem Singh, Errol Morris, Lucy Walker, Keith Schofield, Romain Gavras, Vincent Haycook, Malcom Venville, Vincent Urban
Costa Rica is a green country in general. 99% of the electric energy used in the country comes from renewable sources. Additionally to that we are doing the following on all our productions:
- recycle areas in the office and on set (for crew and client areas).
- reusable water bottles; refill stations for water, Gatorade and Ice tea
- filtered (5 stages) water set up at the office to avoid buying water bottles for foreign crew
- solar power panels at our offices.
- electric vehicle for the production office
- we compost
- drivers are instructed to always turn off the vehicles while parked or waiting to reduce footprint
- print only when really needed, try to be as paperless as much as possible
For jobs over $500k you get a tax return of 80% of the VAT.